July 14, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: RAGE by Jackie Morse Kessler

Book: RAGE
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Publisher: Turtleback Books
Category: Young Adult Fiction/ Paranormal

I have bought and read HUNGER so my expectations with RAGE was quite high.  I am glad to say the author did not disappoint.  Truth be told, while Hunger made me cry, RAGE made me think.  I never really understood the thoughts and emotions behind cutting but this book made me think, and feel, differently.  it made me understand the possibilities behind it, and it makes me sad. though i can relate more to Hunger since i experienced an eating disorder myself years ago, Rage resonates with the same urgency, the need for understanding and help.  the need to be.
Rage is very well written with full characters....take Death for example. i have never read his character as humorous and as sexy as in this book.  He makes life personal.  and makes us understand that though he is what he is, Death is not a harbinger of doom but also salvation and ultimately Life.  

High school life for Missy here is Hell on earth and it gives us an insight into what it is now for our children. it can be a vicious hellhole for people who are different, who dare to not conform with society.  truly we have seen this in the 80s what with the breakfast club and sixteen candles, unfortunately it is much worse now.  and with the constant news about high schoolers being bullied and killing themselves, with crazy teen videos on youtube, does it not make you wonder what this world is coming to? the word tragic doesn't seem enough a description.

Rage opens our eyes to 2 things clearly:  high school hell and addiction to cutting.  both of which needs serious attention, not just by the school authorities, but most especially by the parents. if anything, the book can be a lesson and a saviour, for both people with problems and those who love them. ultimately, it may save the life of someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment