March 07, 2012

Book Review: TEMPTED BY HER INNOCENT KISS by Maya Banks


Book:  TEMPTED BY HER INNOCENT KISS
Author: Maya Banks
Publisher: Harlequin
Category: Contemporary Adult Romance

“How much did I cost you Dev? Or should I ask how much my father offered you to marry me?”-  Ashley Copeland
“No one who truly loves you should ever want you to change.  And no one who wants to change that essential part that makes you YOU deserves a single moment of your time”- Tabitha
“I’m putting you on notice right now. I’m watching you.  If Ashley isn’t more herself in very short order, I’m coming after you with everything I’ve got”- Eric Copeland
“Someday there’ll be a man who’ll accept me too. Until then, I’d rather be alone and true to myself than with someone who places conditions on his ability to love and accept me”- Ashley
“You are the most beautiful, precious thing that has barreled into my life.  I didn’t see it because I didn’t want to see it”- Devon carter

Devon is getting married.  He doesn’t want to, but he has to, if he wants the biggest business deal he has ever made to push through.  The father of the bride, for some reason, believes he is the best man for his beloved only daughter, Ashley, who has no idea she is the biggest pawn in the contract.
Ashley is head over heels in love with Devon.  Though they’ve been dating only for a short time, she knows in her heart, he is the man she wants.  So when Devon unexpectedly pops the question, she doesn’t hesitate nor question his motives though she knew he was working with her father on a huge corporate merger. 
They are total opposites.  Devon is controlled, unemotional and serious whereas Ashley is flighty, impulsive and too trusting.  So they forge ahead and get married with Ashley believing it’s the start of her forever with the man she adores.  On her honeymoon night however she accidentally sees an email on Devon’s computer from her father mentioning the merger and marriage.  She confronts Devon, who eventually tells the truth about everything.  Though devastated, she still believes that in the end, she can make Devon love her.  So she decides to change everything he doesn’t like about her.  Slowly she loses her exuberance, her happiness, her entire self.  Then she discovers something that makes her question what Devon’s love is worth….and hers as well.

I finished reading the entire book in under 3 hours.  Suffice it to say it was a light and interesting read.   Some lines were a bit dramatic considering the contemporary setting and the characters’ personalities, particularly Devon, but it worked out in the end. 
Both Ashley and Devon are likable characters.  Off the bat I loved Ashley for her sun-shiny personality and loving nature.  Devon is also easy to like even in his stiff and stunted ways, he truly had good intentions and beliefs towards Ashley and their marriage.   Even Ashley’s father is okay in that he never wanted to harm either his daughter or Devon.  He just wanted to push forward and hasten what he knew was inevitable: the couple’s marriage and eventual happiness.  There is no evil character to hate in this book.  Both Ashley's and Devon’s friends are good and supportive with occasional funny quips to lighten the heavy moments. I also appreciate the message of this book which is you should never have to change who you are in order for someone to love you.  you have to love yourself first.
Tempted By Her Innocent Kiss has many sexy, thrilling moments. I recommend this book for romantics who want absolute closure and happy endings.

Note:  It comes with a bonus story by Brenda Jackson.
Readers Beware: There are explicit/graphic sex scenes in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment